John Coltrane - Another Side Of John Coltrane
This collection showcases some of Coltrane's best recordings as a side artist and features collaborations with such jazz greats as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, Tadd Dameron, and Art Taylor. Primarily focusing on Coltrane's recordings as side man from 1956 and 1957 on the Prestige, Riverside, and Jazzland labels, it also includes a guest appearance (and legendary tenor saxophone solo) with Miles Davis on the track "Someday My Prince Will Come" (from the 1961 Miles Davis Columbia album of the same title).
The liner notes were written by Doug Ramsey, winner of the Jazz Journalists Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award. Ramsey is the author of the award-winning biography Take Five: The Public and Private Lives of Paul Desmond. His other awards include two ASCAP Deems Taylors.
1. Sonny Rollins Quartet - Tenor Madness (12:08)
2. Miles Davis And The Modern Jazz Giants - 'Round Midnight (5:22)
3. The Miles Davis Quintet - Oleo (6:17)
4. The Miles Davis Quintet - Airegin (4:21)
5. Tadd Dameron With John Coltrane - Soultrane (5:22)
6. Art Taylor - C.T.A. (4:39)
7. Thelonious Monk - Monk's Mood (7:48)
8. Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane - Epistrophy (Alternate Take) (3:07)
9. Thelonious Monk With John Coltrane - Trinkle, Tinkle (6:39)
10. The Red Garland Quintet With John Coltrane - Billie's Bounce (9:21)
11. Miles Davis - Someday My Prince Will Come (9:02)
- This collection showcases some of Coltrane's best recordings as a side artist.
- Features collaborations with such jazz greats as Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, Sonny Rollins, Tadd Dameron, and Art Taylor.
- Liner notes written by Doug Ramsey.